Initially, the Custos of the Holy Land, Fr. Frediano Giannini envisioned "a course of Bible studies" in the Holy Land and Jerusalem (unique setting for this kind of studies) for Franciscans. The school opened in 1901-1902 at St. Saviour's monastery. Teaching included biblical subjects (exegesis, languages, institutions, archaeology) and the history of the sanctuaries related to the gospels.
1923-1927. After the first World War, the school was refounded by the Custos of the Holy Land, Fr. Ferdinando Diotallevi and approved in 1923 by the Minister General Fr. Bernhardin Klumper. On January 7th 1924, the SBF was inaugurated at the sanctuary of the Flagellation. It began with a two-year program of biblical disciplines (history, geography, oriental languages) for the students of theology. Immediately followed the establishment of the library and the archaeological museum.
1927 to 1933. Under the General Minister Fr. Bonaventura Marrani, the SBF became an integral part of the curriculum of the College of St. Anthony of Rome. Students of biblical section studied two years at the SBF biblical materials (introduction, exegesis, history, geography, archeology, languages) and were guided in excursions to historical sites. In 1933 it took place the first excavations on Mount Nebo (Transjordan)
1933 to 1940. In the SBF were held additional Bible courses in the overall curriculum of the Antonianum, he became allo¬ra pontifical university. Will they increased the archaeological excavations (Tabgha, Mount Nebo). The outbreak of World War II caused the dismissal of professors and students.
1940 to 1950. Interrupted educational activities, did not stop the search. He dug in Emmaus-Qubeibeh, Ain Karem, Tiberias, Bethlehem, Bethany. The excavation illustration of Mount Nebo inaugurated the publications of the SBF (1941). The teachers prepared a guide to the Holy Land and a historical atlas of Palestine.
1950 to 1960. For the tenacity to p. Donato Baldi and the decision of the Minister General p. Augustin Sépinski, the SBF resumed his teaching and was again connected to the Antonianum. The students completed their studies in Jerusalem ahead of the exam at the Pontifical Biblical Commission. He increased the teaching and research activities. They began major excavations like those of Dominus Flevit and Nazareth. The SBF opened to non-Franciscan students. In 1951 he founded the magazine "Liber Annuus".
1960 to 1981. On 14 June 1960 the Congregation for Seminaries and Universities of Studies formed the SBF Biblical Section of the Faculty of Theology of the Antonianum with the right to confer the academic degree of Bachelor. He dug on Mount Carmel, Tabgha, Kefer Kenna. Were the excavations began in Capernaum. In 1972 he was introduced the course for a licentiate in theology (biblical specialization) and the teaching program was expanded accordingly. In 1973, the SBF celebrated the 50th anniversary to the interest of the Magnificent Rector of the PAA p. Roberto Zavala and the Director p. Bellarmine Bagatti. On behalf of the Holy Father Cardinal. J. Villot, Secretary of State, sent a letter of congratulations and best wishes.
1982-2001. On 15 March 1982 by decision of the Congregation for Catholic Education, the SBF has become a parallel section of the Faculty of Theology of the Antonianum in Rome. It includes the regular three cycles: the basic cycle (Studium Theologicum Jerosolymitanum), second and third cycle of specialization in Biblical Theology (Studium Biblicum Franciscanum).
From 2001 onwards. On September 4, 2001 The Congregation for Catholic Education has raised it to "Faculty of Biblical Studies and Archaeology" at the Pontifical University Antonianum in Rome (now University).
La segreteria dell'SBF è aperta con il seguente orario:
Lunedì: ore 10:30-12:30
Martedì: ore 10:30-12:30
Giovedì: ore 10:30-12:30
N.B. L’ufficio della Segreteria rimane chiuso dal 1 luglio al 20 settembre.
Flagellation Monastery (Via Dolorosa)
Tel. +972-2-6270485 / 6270444;